- Couscous (I purchased the 16oz bag of Bob’s Red Mill Pearl Tricolor Israeli Couscous and it was delicious!)
- Firm tofu – 2 packages (cut each block into 4 thin sheets)
- Onion, chopped – 1
- Tomato, Roma, chopped – 2
- Chickpeas – 2 cans
- Feta cheese – 4 oz container
- Parsley, chopped – 1/4 cup
- Lemon juice – 4 tbsp (about 2 lemons)
- Olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. (If you cook the whole bag, you will need 3 3/4 cups of water.) Cook couscous according to package directions.
- While couscous cooks, heat olive oil in two separate medium pans.
- In one pan, sear each of the tofu until golden brown and crispy. (Don’t forget to add salt and pepper).
- In the other pan, add the onion and tomato. Cook until tender.
- Once couscous is done, drain and add in onion and tomato mixture, parsley, feta cheese and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Service couscous with the sliced tofu or cut the tofu into squares and add to the couscous mixture.
Vegan option: Just remove the feta cheese and you’ve got yourself a tasty vegan treat!
Servings: You should get about 10 servings from this. Use about 1 cup of couscous and divide the tofu between 10 dishes.
Cost: About $2.50 per serving