- Potatoes, medium, cut into 1/2 inch pieces – 4
- Carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces – 4
- Olive oil
- Red onion, thinly sliced – 1
- Zucchini, large, thinly slices – 2 (or 4 medium)
- Tomatoes, beefsteak, sliced – 2
- Parmesan – 1/2 cup
- Bread crumbs, Italian-style – 2 tbsp
- Orzo (1/3 cup of dry orzo is 1 serving, so about 2 2/3 cups of dry orzo will be 8 servings)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put potato and carrot in a large bowl and toss with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the bottom of a large casserole dish.
- Layer the red onion slices on top of carrots and potato.
- Layer the zucchini on top of the red onion slices. Season with salt and pepper.
- Layer the sliced tomato on top of the zucchini.
- Mix Parmesan and bread crumbs in a small bowl. Spread on top of the tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bakes until crust is brown and potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Serve with orzo. (Add a little butter or vegan butter to the orzo for added flavor.)
Vegan option: Just remove the Parmesan from the crust and this recipe will be vegan!
Servings: This should yield you 8 servings of orzo and veggie mixture.
Cost: Under $2.00 per serving.